Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup
Another one of my recipes I cooked up with Marie….
1 litre chicken stock
1 stick lemongrass
a knob of ginger
2-3 birds eye chillies, bruised
3 fresh kaffir lime leaves or 1 tsp of frozen, chopped lime leaves
2 x 400 ml cans of coconut milk
1 tablespoon light brown, palm or white sugar
200g Chinese or tender stem broccoli
1 bunch of coriander
1 large handful spinach
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pour the stock into a large pan over a moderate heat, bash the lemon grass stick and piece ginger with the end of a rolling pin and cut in half and add to the pot with the lime leaves.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper and a few thrusts of fish sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
3. Cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice, adding half to the pot. Chop the broccoli into bite sized pieces and add to the pot.
4. Simmer for about 30 seconds then add the shredded cooked chicken. Bring to a boil again, reduce heat and taste for seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
5. Stir in the remaining fresh coriander and spinach leaves. Serve immediately, but mind your kissers as it will be HOT!