Yes a variation on the classic…….just feeling a little addicted to anchovies…..Bacon croutons…softly boiled eggs….sweet cherry tomatoes…..
I added about 2 teaspoons of the anchovies that get crushed in the bottom of the jar. (See post Anchovy Scrambled Egg) Those little jars where the anchovies stand squashed upright side by side in oil.
Breakfast BLT Caesar Salad
1 cos or 3 little gem lettuce
4 thick slices of country bread or I used French stick, about 100g with crust.
2-3 slices pancetta or streaky bacon
2 garlic cloves
200ml olive oil
2-4 anchovy fillets, plus a tablespoon or two of oil from the anchovy jar/tin
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 egg yolk
½ -1 lemon
25g Parmesan, more grated Parmesan to serve,
a handful of cherry tomatoes – Amazingly form my own plant!
Extra anchovy fillets, optional
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven 200 C. Wash the cos or gem leaves and plunge into a large bowl of cold water. Bring a small pan of water to a boil, then gently lower in the eggs and boil for 7-8 minutes. Then refresh in lots of cold water, to stop the eggs cooking further, so you’ll get a lovely soft yolk. (if you add ice this will stop it quicker.)
2. Cut or rip the bread into large croutons. Cut the pancetta of bacon into little strips across the grain. Heat the olive oil over a low heat in a large frying pan with a heatproof handle or a roasting tin.
3. Peel and crush the garlic and add to the oil. Fry for a moment or two, but don’t let it change colour. Remove from heat and pour almost all into a bowl, hooking out the garlic, until you’re left with just a couple of tablespoons of oil.
4. Add the strips of pancetta or bacon and fry for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden, then toss in the bread pieces. Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Check halfway through and turn over.
5. In the bottom of a serving bowl, mash the anchovies with the Dijon and the egg yolk.
Squeeze in the juice from ½ the lemon then gradually whisk in the garlic oil, until lightly thickened. Season and add a few thrusts of Worcestershire sauce. Finely grate and scatter in the Parmesan. Stir well taste for seasoning, squeezing in more lemon juice if needed.
6. Drain and dry the lettuce leaves and rip into mouth friendly size pieces and drop into the bowl. Toss in some washed cherry tomatoes and toss all together well with the croutons and pieces of bacon.
7. Peel and cut the eggs in half, drop on top the salad and scatter with more Parmesan. Add more anchovies if wished. (I didn’t for this one, but usually do with a classic Caesar.)