Made this last night for the car journey to Secret Garden Party……..Bloody nice cake, mind!…..
A light sweet almond cake with nuggets of marzipan throughout.
Serves about 8 or 10
270 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or I used 200 g caster sugar and 70 g vanilla sugar
250 g unsalted butter, softened
4 medium eggs
250 g ground almonds
75 g marzipan, broken into little chunks
1 tablespoon Amaretto
200 g self-raising flour
125 g blueberries
You could also serve this just warm with some thick Greek yoghurt as a pudding.
1. Preheat the oven 170°C/ gas 3 and grease and line the base and sides of a 25 cm cake tin.
2. Whiz the the sugar and butter until pale, light and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs with the motor running until smooth.
3. Turn mix into a bowl and pour in the vanilla, (if using see ingredients list above) and amaretto. Then tip in the almonds and stir well.
4. Crumble the marzipan into little nugget size pieces and drop into the mix and fold in with the flour until smooth.
5. Tip the mix into the lined cake tin Drop the blueberries all over the cake surface. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for about 1 hour until golden a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
Let cool for 5 minutes in tin then cool on a wire rack…….serve…….with…..what you fancy?Petra’s morning tea and morning coffee!