So you’ve still got some cabbage left in your veg box…….
Serves 2-3 as a main
1 dried red chilli
2 tablespoons unsweetened dessicated coconut or if ever possible then 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 large onion
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teapoons turmeric
300 g cabbage, mine was a light summer cabbage
200 g fresh or frozen peas
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the chilli in half lengthwise, knock out the seeds and break off the stalk. Chop roughly and place in a bowl. If using dessicated coconut, tip this into another bowl and pour over boiling water to cover both the coconut and chillies. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
2. Put ginger and red chilli in a small blender with 2 tablespoons water to a paste.
3. Peel and slice the onion. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Add cumin seeds and paste and stir fry for a few seconds. Add onion and a pinch salt and fry til soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Stir in the turmeric.
4. Add the cabbage, peas and salt and pepper. Raise the heat then add 4 tablespoons water, cover quickly and cook until the cabbage and peas are just tender, about 2-3 minutes, stirring once in between. Taste for seasoning.
5. Drain the coconut in a sieve, pushing with a wooden spoon to remove excess liquid. Then stir the coconut into the cabbage and serve.
Little note…..For supper I had a pan fried gammon steak on top a pile of this…..very, very nice.