Crunchy, soft and sweet summery courgettes, tossed with nuggets of melting mozzarella and basil….I’m off to Secret Garden Party so tomorrow when this is posted I will probably be dancing knee high in mud in a field, with a fat pie in my hand dreaming of this……….or maybe I won’t….
Courgette and Basil and Mozzarella Stir-Fry
2 cloves garlic
6 Spring onions
8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Pinch chilli flakes, optional
1 kg Courgettes or summer squash
Few leaves fresh Basil
1 buffalo mozzarella
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel and crush the garlic, slice the spring onion thinly and top and tail and cut the courgettes into thick batons.
2. Heat a tablespoon of the oil, add the spring onion, garlic and chilli flakes and stir fry for about a minute or until softened. Scrape this into a large serving bowl and add another tablespoon or 2 of oil to the pan.
3. Raise the heat and add about ¼ of the courgette pieces. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir fry for about a minute or two until just tender. Tip these into the bowl, tear in some basil and toss well.
4. Add a little more oil to the pan and continue adding more courgettes to the pan, seasoning lightly, cooking til tender and then adding them to the bowl.
5. Add a few more torn leaves of basil to the bowl of cooked courgettes with a squeeze of lemon.
Chop the mozzarella into big cubes and toss in to the warm courgettes. Taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice to taste if needed.
Serve straight away…..you could have rice with this but it’s so good on it’s own….