Simple and good.
Serves 2 for lunch
1 small onion
small handful beetroot leaves and stalks
1 tablespoon olive oil
about 9 cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon onion marmalade or onion chutney, optional
5 medium eggs
couple tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel and fienly chop the onion, wash and drain the beetroot leaves and stalks and shred into 2 cm strips, but keep the stalks and leaves separate (the stalks will take a little longer to cook than the leaves so it’s good to cook them first).
2. Then heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the chopped onion and cook without colour for 5-6 minutes until softened.
3. Add the chopped stalks to pan, season and cook for about a further 2 minutes or until these are tender. The stalks turn a beautiful translucent pink colour as they cook. Beat the eggs together with a little salt and pepper.
4. Add the shredded leaves to the pan and cook for a few moments until they wilt. Check seasoning and adjust if you need to.
5. Slice the tomatoes across their middles and add to the pan and cook for about a minute. Then stir in the onion marmalade, if using.
6. Over a low to medium heat add the eggs and stir until you have soft lobe like pieces of egg. Stir in a tablespoon of the parmesan and serve immediately, scattered with more if you like.
Little notes….You could always stir in a half a tablespoon of creme fraiche or cream in just before the parmesan at the end.