Looks complicated……but very very easy…..
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 spring onions
few sprigs thyme
2 small garlic cloves
300 g pork mince
zest 1 lemon
1 egg white
3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, optional
salt and pepper
1. Slice the spring onion thinly and peel and crush the garlic. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the spring onion and garlic and pull off the thyme leaves into the pan and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Tip into a bowl to cool.
2. Tip the pork mince into a bowl and finely grate in the lemon zest. Season then tip in the cooled onion mixture and Parmesan if using. Lightly beat the egg white, pour in and mix well.
3. Cover and leave to rest in fridge for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight.
4. Remove from fridge and form the mixture into 4 patties.Beetroot and Carrot Relish
Relish the relish!
2 med-large beetroots
350 g carrots
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil.
sea salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven 200 C/gas 6. Scrub and trim the beetroot, leaving a few centimetres of stalk attached and place in roasting tin or dish. Add the whole unpeeled carrots and add to the tine. Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until tender when stabbed with a knife.
2. Peel and crush the garlic and scrape into a large bowl. Crumble in the dried oregano or chop the fresh oregano leaves and add to the bowl. Whisk in the vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. When the beetroot and carrots are cool enough to handle, scrape to remove the skins, (don’t worry if the carrot skin doesn’t come off easily, it’s fine if you leave some skin on.) then slice and chop into ½ cubes. Drop the beetroot and carrot cubes into the dressing and toss well.Fried Potatoes
2 large potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
To bring it all together……
1. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of the remaining olive oil for the Fried Potatoes, in a large frying pan and pan fry the patties for about 6-7 minutes, turning once or twice, until cooked through.
2. Cut the potato, with skin on, into 1 cm thick slices. Add a little more oil to the pan and add the potato slices in a single layer and add to the pan you have cooked the patties in.
3. Season, and cook, turning every now and then, (seasoning the other side as you turn the first time) for about 5-10 minutes or until they are golden, lightly crispy and tender.
4. Lift a couple of slices of the potato on each plate, top with a patty and then pile on a large spoonful of the beetroot and carrot relish. Eat now.Oregano from my mum’s garden…..it’s just starting to dry out……