Gin, fresh rhubarb, raspberries, homemade ginger beer, smidge amaretto, mint and ice….in a flask, on my bike over to Hackney Wicked last weekend to give support and refreshment to Flossy selling her headresses on the street…..
Rhubarb Raspberry Ginger Cocktails
350 g rhubarb
2 punnets raspberries
125 g golden granulated sugar
gin (or vodka)
Icing sugar to taste
1. Trim and cut the rhubarb into 5 cm lengths and place in a pan with the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water.
2. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 5 minutes or until tender. Leave to cool.
3. Once cool, whiz up the rhubarb in a food processor with the raspberries then push through a fine sieve.
4. Per person, pour a measure or so (!) of gin into a jug. Add a couple of tablespoons of the rhubarb and raspberry puree, drop in some ice, a splash of amaretto and give it a good stir or shake.
5. Taste. Need more sugar? then stir in a little icing sugar. Top up with ginger beer and add a sprig mint. Drink now.
Little note….if using my homemade ginger beer you may like to top up with soda or lemonade too…..