- Jessiecake – Triple Chocolate and Almond Cake
- Yesterday was Jessie’s 30th birthday and I devised this cake specially for her. Happy happy, happy, happy birthday Jess!
- For the sponge
- 275g self raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 2tsp baking powder
- 5 medium free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 300 g butter, softened
- 300 g light brown soft sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- For the Icing
- 250 g butter, softened to room temperature
- 150 g white chocolate
- 125 g icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bailey’s, optional
- To decorate
- Anything you like, but I used edible gold powder
- 1. To make the cake, preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/gas 4. Line the base and sides of 2 x 23 cm cake tins.
- 2. Sieve the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a large bowl.
- 3. Add the remaining ingredients for the sponge, except the ground almonds and chocolate, and beat until smooth.
- 4. Finally stir in the ground almonds and chopped chocolate and divide the mixture between the tins.
- 5. Spread out evenly and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until when pressed with a finger the cake bounces back.
- 5. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning the sponges out onto a wire rack and leave to cool. Slice each sponge in half horizontally.
- 6. Melt the white chocolate for the icing and leave to cool until just tepid. Beat the butter until smooth then beat in the icing sugar and Bailey’s, if using.
- 7. Gradually beat in the melted chocolate until smooth, then use to spread between each layer leaving enough to spread on top…..sprinkle with edible gold powder and love and serve.
- Follow HOT MEALS NOW on WordPress.com
- My Tweets
Eat The Seasons
- Great resource of what's in season. Sign up for a free weekly email update. www.eattheseasons.co.uk
Brilliant co-operative run by local residents in Hackney Wick, bringing in organic seasonal produce from a farm in Essex.
The Food Assembly
- Content and photography is © Annie Nichols 2015 unless otherwise stated, and may not be used or downloaded without permission.