300 g purple sprouting broccoli
3 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
2 red onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
50 g pitted kalamata, or other black olives, drained
1-2 teaspoons harrissa (most supermarkets have this fiery chilli paste)
1 x 400g chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and drained again
½ pomegranate, about 100 g seeds
50 g goats cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. To prepare the broccoli, cut off the flowery tops to about 5cm lengths, then chop the stalks into 1-2 cm strips, discarding any really tough stalks.
2. Cook onion and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes then add the olives and harrissa, and continue cooking for a further 5-8 minutes or until the onions are very soft.
3. Add the chickpeas and stir in the prepared broccoli and season with salt and pepper.
4. Raise the heat, pour in 100 ml water and bang on a lid. It will cook really quickly and only take about 3-4 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the chickpeas are hot.
5. Remove from heat and check for seasoning. Scatter with the pomegranate seeds and crumble over the goats cheese, then serve up.
Little note….a squeeze of lemon juice or splash of vinegar would be nice….