Halloumi and Avocado Salad
1/2-1 x halloumi
1 x ripe avocado (don’t bother if it’s not ripe!)
handful of spinach leaves
oak leaf lettuce or normal round lettuce
about 3 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
1 tablespoon flaxseed/linseed oil (totally optional, but it’s good for you.)
roasted cashews, salted or unsalted, it’s up to you
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Tip a handful of baby spinach leaves into a large bowl with some oak leaf lettuce (or other soft lettuce leaf) torn into small pieces. Sprinkle with vinegar, drizzle with a couple tablespoons of rapeseed oil (and one of flaxseed/linseed oil, if using) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (careful of salt as the Halloumi will be salty and you may have decided to use salted cashews too.)
2. Toss together. Taste it. How’s it taste? need more oil or vinegar? Stone, peel, chop the avocado into cubes and drop on top of leaves.
3. Place a frying pan onto the heat and meanwhile slice the Halloumi thinly.
4. Add about a tablespoon of rapeseed oil to the pan and slide in your halloumi slices in a single layer.
5. Fry the halloumi slices over a medium heat, until browned on both sides.
Hook the cheese out of the pan, and on top of the salad, crush the cashews in your hand, sprinkle over and serve as soon as you possibly can…..because halloumi is much nicer warm and soft……
Little note….Oak leaf lettuce, (so called because the leaves do look like those of the Oak tree) with it’s soft tender leaves, is one of my favourite lettuces. Sadly the supermarkets don’t sell it, unless in a mixed bag. I bought mine from a really good Turkish veg shop on Stoke Newington Church Street. (London N16)