Swiss Roll with Blackberry and Damson Jam, Slathered in Lemon Frosting
A.K.A Flossy’s Birthday Cake 2012
- For each Swiss Roll
- 3 eggs
- 75 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75 g plain flour
- 100 g blackberry jam and/or damson jam (or jam of choice)
- For the icing
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened (it needs to be soft or it will be hard to beat!)
- 250 g icing sugar
- Juice of ½ a juicey lemon
- Edible gold dust, optional
Little note….I used 3 times the quantity of the recipe above to make Flossy’s cake, and used the mixture to make one the size in the recipe and one large one. (30 x 32 cm deep tin)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C/160 fan/ 350 F/Gas 4 and line a 21 x 30 cm Swiss roll, or shallow tin with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric whisk until very light and fluffy and the mixture leaves and holds a trail for 10 seconds or more, when the whisks are lifted.
3. Carefully fold in the flour and pour and scrape the mixture into the lined tins, and carefully level them out evenly.
4. Bake for 6-10 minutes or until lightly golden all over, and bounces back when pressed gently with fingers.
5. Whilst the cake is baking, make sure you get everything else ready. Warm the jam and lay a clean tea towel on a work surface and sprinkle it lightly with a little caster sugar.
6. When the sponge is ready, immediately tip it out (you need to do this quickly while it’s still hot, so it won’t crack.) onto the sugary cloth, peel off the paper, spread evenly with the jam and then using the cloth roll up the cake away from you fairly tightly. Leave to cool in cloth for a few minutes, then remove cloth and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
7. For the icing, beat the butter, add icing sugar a bit at a time and beat until very light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice and beat again. Spread over cake evenly and if using, sprinkle with gold dust and love…..FF…Flossy!